Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Lake of the Woods!

Last weekend we went camping at Lake of the Woods! Isabel is the 5th generation on my dad's side of the family to enjoy the pleasant shores and fresh mountain air of this wonderful destination. My great grandpa, Fred Geoller bought a summer cabin in the late 1920's or early 1930's on the east side of the lake when the Lake of the Woods resort was brand new (it was established in 1922). We have photos of my grandma as a teenager snow skiing on the lake in her bathing suit in winter time and sailing with a mysterious male "friend" during the summer. Like my dad, I have been camping at the lake since before I can even remember. Even my mom and the Perez family would camp at the lake in the summer when my mom was a kid. She remembers my Abuelito putting frogs into the girls' tent as a practical joke and was actually quite the expert at water skiing! That boat was one of the only "toys" my Abuelito ever spent his hard earned money on. My own childhood memories consist of riding bikes down to the lodge to buy an ice cream, my Abuelito starting campfires with diesel fuel as he basically would put a whole tree trunk into the fire pit! Making smores every night, swimming in the lake and getting freak out by the slimy rocks (I still don't like them!), and lot of yummy camp food!

The best part of this camping trip was that the WHOLE family was able to come! Even Tia Olivia and Maria were able to come out for a night. Our wonderful Pam was even able to stop by for a little while in the afternoon and chilax on the lake shore! Originally it was just going to be the rendezvous for us taking Tia Rosa home (she spent a week with us in Sonoma), and it turned out that everyone was able to come! David wasn't originally going to make it because he had a songwriting competition Friday night. But I was able to guilt trip him into driving up Saturday morning. We were all super glad that he did, because we had one of the best campfire jam sessions ever!

While we might not be able to head to the lake ever single summer, I'm excited for the memories that my kids will establish at this place that is so near and dear to my heart.






No comments:

Post a Comment